6.03.2005

Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin, Improve the Sinning?

Often enough, it seems that, to some degree or another, we must be tolerant of evil (whatever you take this to mean). Not that we intentionally seek evil, but we certainly acknowledge its presence and, perhaps more often than we’d like to think, shrug it off as the unavoidable consequence of being human. For example, we talk about “the lesser of two evils,” of “necessary evils,” and so on, thereby pardoning the imperfect conditions with which we are content to live.

Granted, it is a fact of life that evil does and will continue to exist. Given that this is the case, what is our ethical responsibility in accommodating these evils? Do we merely “hate the sin and love the sinner,” leaving them to their own destruction? Or do we strive to better facilitate the practices we are not in agreement with—but which inevitably exist—in an attempt to ameliorate the negative repercussions of these actions?

Much political debate has been sparked by those who choose the latter route. Given that teenagers will undoubtedly have sex, let’s provide them condoms. Given that homosexuality will undoubtedly continue to exist, let us not discriminate between homosexual and heterosexual unions. Given that women will undoubtedly have abortions, let us make it legal and thereby ensure the procedure is a safe one. Given that prostitution undoubtedly will not go away, let us make it legal, imposing strict governmental regulations and guidelines that will prevent the spread of disease and violence that often permeates such vocations. Similar examples exist regarding marijuana usage and so on.

So is this the answer? Is this justified? This is not meant to fuel discussion on any of the issues I have used as an example, but on the overarching theme of this post: how far should we go in accommodating the practices we would otherwise discourage, provided it will alleviate some of their negative consequences? Please note, I am not making an ethical claim about any of these issues. It is well-known that these issues are often viewed within an ethical framework. Please keep discussions on the topic at hand. Thank you.

-----

Added June 6, 2005:

I have been told by at least one person that the overall point of this post was not entirely clear. Therefore, I am adding this appendage in an effort to clarify. To begin with, I wish to reiterate that, while I cite many issues that are commonly viewed as issues of morality, I am not making a case for or against any of them. Granted, this post mentions both “evil” and homosexuality, just as it mentions both “sin” and abortion. I am not, however, trying to parallel these terms. However, it is a well-known fact that many people do link these terms, and that is central to the theme of my post.

And what is the theme again? It is this: supposing that you consider an action to be wrong—whether it is one that I have listed or not—how far should you go in accommodating it, provided this accommodation will reduce the negative impacts of the action?

Naturally, you can utilize any example you wish if it helps you make your point. Just as the point you are making may vary (e.g. you may argue that we should always accommodate something we don’t like if it lessens the harm done, or you may argue that we should never, to any degree, accommodate something we feel morally opposed to), so may the examples. You may use something I have brought up, or you may use something else. Plenty of examples exist. Gun control, euthanasia, gambling, etc. But it needn’t be something of vast political concern. How much leeway should you give your child to do something you feel opposed to, given that he/she may engage in worse activities otherwise? Should you demand a certain code of conduct and consider it his/her choice to suffer the consequences of living otherwise? Or do you compromise—morally—in the hopes of improving the situation?

5 comments:

The Damsel said...

I actually was talking to people about this today. You cannot regulate morals-I think you have to let people do whatever they want. (As long as it does not violate any one else doing what ever they want.)If it offends you, extract yourself from the situation not the other way around.

JoAnna said...

Katherina does make me agree with her argument. We were discussing censorship and while I think there are things that we need to protect ourselves, our children and society in general from, I don't believe in censorship per se because I do believe in freedoms.

The question I would like my future husband (whoever he may be) to answer is given that we teach our children abstinence before marriage, what would you do if your 15 year old daughter came to you and said she needed to be put on birth control? I would like to know how my husband/ the father of my children would respond to this because I would like to know his character. However, it is also an interesting ethical question. I would want my daughter to know where I stand, what I believe and why I try to teach it to her. I would not want my purchase of birth control etc to be seen as acceptance of the act. However, I would definitely want to protect her from something worse (teen pregnancy, disease etc).

I suppose for me (and I really am trying to stay on topic) the question is viewed most poignantly in very personal ways. I have had many people in my life that I love who have done things against my moral beliefs. I can't stop loving the people and I believe to be truly Christian, you try to understand why they do what they do and/or it's none of my business. However, in the dating world, I often get very confused. Looking at someone as the love of my life, I could love through a lot of things. You accept people, we all have our faults etc. But, looking at him as someone with whom to share my life and existence and most importantly to be the father of my children, there are some things I should definitely not put up with. I don't want to have to shelter my children from their own father. It may be something I can live with or not think is a big deal, but what about my future children?

JoAnna said...

Wow mom, very well thought out and well said. I think I agree completely. I have been trying really hard in the last two weeks to be good and have positive and uplifting thoughts and attitude. And then I get smacked by some shmuck that thinks I'm too pious! Well, I won't see you in heaven! Off with their heads! oh, i'm kidding... just a bit!

Buffalo said...

Evil and Love are two of the most over-used words in our vocabulary.

Buffalo said...

Very simply, you should not legislate morality.